I had a graduate assistant come up to the desk today. Her professor requested of her two things: to get fresh print copies of 15 articles and to find every published work by those authors. He said that he wanted the latter information in case any students were interested in doing further research. When the GA told me that bit we shared a "huh" moment, after all, why can't the students doing further research find out the info? But I digress.
The reference transaction went pretty well. She brought in one of the articles and wanted me to show her how to do the research for the other fourteen. Her initiative made my heart sing! Anyway, I showed her the basics of finding and/or ordering full-text articles. That was easy.
We then discussed the various methods for compiling a complete list of an author's work. I have to admit my ignorance of any resource that clearly does this, so I went through the various places where she might piece a list together. I talked about finding and reviewing the author's CV, our library catalog and databases, as well as Amazon, etc.
I later talked to the head of reference services, and he suggested WorldCat as a starting point (metasearching!) and then the major bibliographies for the real big names. I don't feel too bad at not mentioning the last one, because many of the articles were not written by the big name authors. WorldCat, however, should have been obvious!
Anyway, overall, it was a pretty good interview. The GA went away ready and confident, which means a job well done to me.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Everything an author has written...
Posted by kjale at 10:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment